Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The one year fabric diet: 2017

Now that my shop is closed, and I have way, way, waaay too much fabric, what in the world am I going to DO with it all?


Sew fun stuff.  Stuff I've put off sewing for my kids and for my home for the past few *ahem* years.

 flannels, patiently waiting to be transformed into jammies

I want to sew gifts and make people smile.  I want to finish those projects that have been piling up that I always meant to get around to, but never seemed to find the time to complete.  And I'd like to sew some things to bless organizations that have blessed my family tremendously... but I'm still thinking on exactly how to do that.  (I'll get back to you on that last one.)


But here's the catch:  I don't want to buy
ANY.
MORE.
FABRIC.

I'm proposing a fabric fast.  A diet, if you will.


For one year, I will buy no fabric.
NONE.


Not one fat quarter.
Not one yard of delicious red-tag sale fabric at Jo-Ann.  Damn you, Jo-Ann.

goodbye, 60%-off coupons

NOTHING.


I've done it before -- successfully, I might add, so I feel confident I can do it again.  I just feel so gross when I look at my fabric stash, and fabric isn't supposed to make you feel slimy.  It's supposed to make you feel good and warm and happy.
That's how I know I have a problem.  :(


So NO fabric purchases for me in 2017.

I told my long-suffering husband of my plans, and his response was, "just one year? Hell, you could go seven!"
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Slow down.  Let's not go crazy.
I'll start with one year, and at the end, I'll evaluate, and perhaps... well.  Let's just see how it goes, shall we?


Anyone else want to take the pledge with me?
DO YOU DARE???

I'll post my stash-busting creations here, to keep you updated (and to keep me honest.)  Also, please leave a comment if you'll be joining me in the fabric diet and/or in busting YOUR stash, too!
Talk to you soon!

***I will allow for purchases of notions and/or interfacing to complete a specific, outlined and planned project -- no impulse purchases allowed "just because it's on sale."  I honestly could probably function off of my current notions supply for a year, too.  Just sayin'.  It's pretty ridiculous. But sometimes you do need a particular and specific notion to complete a specific and particular project, so I think that should be allowed.***

2 comments:

  1. I was reading the post and thinking, "hasn't she done this before?" and then you said you had! I've been coming here a while, haven't I? hahaha! Good for you with the fabric fast. And I can't wait to see what you make for the organizations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya, except I've pledged no new art supplies this year (with the exception of watercolor paper for my class). I have to use this stuff up, if not, why do I have it? Good luck to you. I know you can do it, and I can't wait to see all of your cool projects!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!