Friday, October 24, 2014

Another Real, quick update

Brendan is doing FABULOUSLY well.  Pain is well-managed, and all PT and OT goals and tests passed.  His new CPM machine was delivered this afternoon. . . .


This machine will be his constant companion for the next six weeks.  It will work his quads without him moving and working them.



The surgeon unwrapped and changed the dressing on the surgical incision.  The surgeon was pleased, and said it was beautiful.  Of course I had to look.  It wasn't as bad as I had imagined.  Just a 6" long, dark reddish black incision, covered in steri strips.  No picture here, though. . . only because my phone had died.

Waiting.

For the most part, we just sat around and waited.  We visited the teen room.  We ate lunch together in the cafeteria.  We painted pumpkins with some of the other patients.

some of the kids' and volunteers' pumpkins...
 and my ugly flowery one.

Brendan's raven pumpkin

And we waited some more. 

I don't want to complain, especially compared to my son's ordeal, but I have to state something here:  it is EXHAUSTING sitting in a hospital.  I don't understand it.  It is literally an energy-suck.  I have photographic proof of my statement.   It ain't pretty, but I promised to keep it real here, so. . . .

8 a.m.

8 p.m.

Seriously!  Did I age 10 years in 12 hours?! I almost wanted to laugh when I saw these pics, but I also wanted to cry.  But I was too tired to do either.

Don't get me wrong.  I've walked a little every day, giving me a small energy boost.  I'm still sleeping wonderfully (almost guiltily) at the Ronald McDonald House.  I'm also eating well (the food here is surprisingly good... too good.  Note to self: get back to the gym when we get home!)  I'm doing my best to take care of myself in the current circumstances.  I can't imagine how I'd feel if I wasn't doing that!  I learned the hard way, after many years of self-imposed martyrdom, that I can't take care of anyone else if I don't take care of myself first.  Sounds selfish, doesn't it?  But it isn't.  I can't give what I don't have, so I have to recharge, refill, and refresh so I can love my family better.


So now, we wait.  Brendan is rumored to be discharged very soon.  I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

I love hearing from you!