Monday, October 21, 2013

My QAYG diaper bag - completed!

FINALLY.




I LOVE this bag!  The QAYG (Quilt As You Go) method is so fun for me (read: instant gratification) and I especially love how I was able to make this bag using only materials from my stash / scrap bin!  (You can see in-progress pics here and here.)

More pics, more details. . . .



I wanted a roomier-than-usual-for-me bag this time around, so the finished size is 16" wide, 13" tall, and 5" deep. 


The diaper bag is constructed of cotton, poly/cotton blends, and rayon fabrics, with a mix of old, new, designer and vintage pieces.



The exterior fabrics are fused to a thick, fluffy fusible fleece for body and durability.  It's incredibly sturdy, due to the nature of the QAYG construction method, so it should hold up wonderfully to all the use and abuse it will soon be getting.

For the zipper closure, I used the same method I describe here, when I made this Amy Butler Sweet Harmony Tote.


The lining is made from a pretty cotton quilter fabric that I've had in my stash for years.  I've misplaced ALL of my interfacing (how does that even happen??! ) so I simply flat-lined the lining and all of the pockets with a high-quality cotton -- and thrifted! -- sheet.  (Never flat-lined?  Check out this fab tutorial on the technique!  I love using muslin or cotton sheets for this step!  Saves a lot of money, and is quick and easy.)

 pockets within pockets. . .  lots of room for stashing baby gear


I also wanted the diaper bag to have a structured, non-removable bottom, and it had to be washable.  Buuut, since I couldn't find my interfacing, or peltex, or anything of that nature, I improvised. . . .

lightly score the plastic over and over again to cut through the plastic -- and avoid injury!

I had a spare plastic tote lid lying around, so I thought that it would make the perfect firm, washable bottom for the bag!  I took the original measurement of the bag bottom pattern piece (6" x 17") and subtracted the 1/2" seam allowance from each side (now 5" x 16".)  Then I shaved off another 1/4" from one long side and one short side, to allow for the bulkiness of the fleece interfacing.  Finally, I also cut the corners off, just a tiny bit, like you would trim the corners in sewing, so the plastic corners wouldn't poke out or tear the bag fabric.

I wanted to pad that plastic piece a bit, so I wrapped some fusible fleece around it.  Yes, I tried to fuse the fleece to the plastic, and no, it didn't work.  I then stitched the fleece closely to the plastic, trimmed the bulk, and slipped it between the bag exterior and lining.  Perfect fit!


I hope you'll give the QAYG method a try!  You can use this technique for small projects (think pot holders and trivets) or for larger projects, like quilts.  If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below and I'd be happy to try to help!

Now, I've got to get busy sewing more baby stuff!  I only have a few more days 'til we meet this precious guy.  Can't wait!  See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Love how you made the bottom insert. That is SO something I would do!! LOL I am always trying to find a way to use something old or repurpose something not being used anymore. Wish you'd showed a pic of it after it was done! The bag is beautiful, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love what you do, bravo! Thank you very much for sharing with us this article.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!