I think I went a little bit overboard with the baby pants. Once I started choosing fabrics, I couldn't stop! I still want to make some little red plaid flannel ones, a houndstooth pair, a few pairs of soft denim pants.... SEE! Out of control!
I used The Purl Bee's free Baby Pants pattern and tutorial to make these darlings. I made these in the 0-3 size, but plan to download and make the larger sizes as time allows. I will say that this pattern is a bit tricky, in that it recommends (and requires) A LOT of pinning. I almost never pin if I can help it, and I probably used 30 pins every time I pinned the baby booty gusset. I didn't care too much for that part, but the end result is so darn cute, I think it's worth the extra work!
left: reclaimed green linen (from a ladies' skirt)
with Alexander Henry 2-D Zoo in Pool gusset
right: reclaimed grey striped cotton and grey oxford gusset (both from men's shirts)
I was able to use all fabrics from my stash. The only thing I had to purchase was more 1/4" elastic for the waistbands. I actually left a little almost-unnoticeable gap in the waistband seam, so I can adjust the elastic later if need be.
Michael Miller rubber ducky cotton (discontinued)
with mustard Walmart quilter cotton fabric gusset
Alexander Henry Where's My Stache in Natural cotton with
reclaimed cotton gingham gusset (from a men's shirt)
reclaimed pinstripe cotton (from ladies' pants) and
reclaimed polished cotton paisley gusset (from a men's shirt)
Now this next pair caused me much elation, and then much grief. I was SO happy to find the perfect vintage fabric pairing! Only to realize.... that I cut the gusset piece UPSIDE-DOWN. WHAAAHHHHH! I almost cried for real! I didn't have enough fabric to re-cut it, so upside-down it is!
vintage grey suiting with vintage cotton tree print (both from FreeCycle)
And this fabric. THIS FABRIC! I didn't even know I owned this fabric, until I did an epic clean-out of my sewing room a couple of months ago. It came as a freebie (!!!) from a seller in Japan. . . years ago! I wish I could remember who sent it, as I would thank her profusely for this crazy-cute print. . . .
japanese cotton print with Walmart quilter cotton gusset
I now feel confident that my soon-to-arrive baby will have plenty of pants for the first couple of months. ;-)
Up next on the machine. . . .
I've decided on the style, shape and size of my diaper bag. I'm going to use the QAYG method, like I used here. . . .
(By the way, Sew, Mama, Sew! has a wonderful tutorial for this patchwork / QAYG (Quilt As You Go) method.) As for the fabrics, I'm leaning toward these at the moment. . . .
This is hard.
Wish me luck! I'll post some in-progress photos soon. See you then!