Friday, October 21, 2011

Warm & cozy toes

In spite of my grand intentions, I accomplished very little sewing in the last few days before Donovan arrived.  I finished one project for baby, and one project for myself -- a cozy pair of slippers!


I used this free pattern from the awesome Prudent Baby blog.  Very, very easy to make, and the pay-off is huge, as these are so warm and comfy!


I used fabrics from my stash -- Amy Butler cotton for the exterior and outer sole, and a soft, inexpensive flannel for the lining.  For the insole, I used two cuts of fleece (instead of batting) plus a cut-to-size foam insole I bought for $1.  Cushy!

I didn't want to drive to (or waddle walk through) the craft store to purchase the recommended Jiffy Grip, a neato non-slip fabric used for the outer soles.  I read a tip somewhere that Tulip slick paint could be applied in dots or stripes to the bottom of baby socks to make them non-slip.  I figured if that could work for babies, it could probably work for me, too!  ;)  So once I was finished constructing the slippers, I added dots to the bottom soles, and let them dry for 24 hours before wearing.  No slip, no slide.


I think these would make practical, thoughtful handmade Christmas gifts for loved ones... easy and inexpensive.  My teens have all asked me to make them their own pairs, so I'll definitely be making these again.  If you have any questions, leave a comment and I'll be happy to help!  Have fun!

7 comments:

  1. Those are very cute! Wish I had more drive to get something accomplished before baby comes...but I'm thinking this will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh, these are so cute! I was just looking for slippers for my little guy who is two but, all the slippers are like, $9!!! I totally have enough fabric to make him some! Just need to get some of that paint! Can't wait! Thanks for sharing! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!! i like them ! they are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these!!! I can't wait to make a pair for my daughters, daughter in law and grandchildren for Christmas. Of course I need to make myself a few pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally should make these! They really are easy, and oh-so-comfy. As a matter of fact, I need to make myself a new pair, as my other ones have finally worn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute!!! I can't wait to try.I love super soft ballet slippers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts