Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spitting and drooling in style

As usual, I put off sewing for our new Monkey until the very end.  Or stated more accurately {honestly,} I ended up sewing one, and only one, project for Donovan... exactly 5 days before my scheduled c-section. 


I decided to make burp cloths!  You can never have too many.  I also chose this project because it was so quick and easy... instant gratification, really.  I used this tutorial from Homemade by Jill


I decided to use fabrics from my stash -- mostly cotton fabrics paired with soft flannels.  I'm pretty pleased with myself that I finally cut into some of these fabrics... that I've been hoarding for years (such as the Mendocino squids shown above.  ==LOVE==)  I used fleece in place of the batting, as that's what I had on hand. 


And let me tell you -- this pattern is so forgiving!  Suppose the flannel and cotton layers don't match up exactly (and mine usually didn't)... who cares!  The fringe will fluff and curl up, and no one will be the wiser.  The hardest part, which was actually more tedious than hard, was making the fringe.  Lots and lots of little cuts.  But I made all of those tiny cuts sitting on the couch, with my swollen feet propped up.  A good TV-watching project!


Let's not forget my own personal drooling over Laundry Monster's adorable burp cloths, which I had mentioned in passing here.  But a sweet, crafty, sneaky friend sent me a surprise package... of Laundry Monster burp cloths... in my most favorite fabrics in the whole wide world!!  I love these cloths... so pretty (and soft!) in person.  My photos just don't do them justice.  Thank you, T! 


Although I didn't accomplish much on my New Monkey Sewing To-Do List, at least my little guy can spit up and drool in style. 

photo taken today -- 12 days old!

2 comments:

  1. adorable! I love that burp cloth pattern. The fringe makes it extra special!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!