Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stitching away the hours. . . .

I can't believe how long it's been since I last posted!  I'm so sorry. . . .  I wanted to post, really, but I just didn't have anything interesting to show or tell or share.  Seriously, no one wants to hear "oh, our hens laid 5 eggs today" or "Owen is in a pour-out-all-liquids-on-any-surface phase."  So I spared you the mundane, until I finally had something pretty to share!

I absolutely loved stitching this piece.  I was inspired by this photograph, and I stitched it up for {what else?} a Craftster swap.  (If you want to be totally wowed, check out the gallery.)


I used a split stitch to fill the wings.  I started at the outer edges of a particular section or shape, and then filled in the spaces in a spiral, basically.  The white spots are my favorite stitches -- french knots -- that I tacked down with a single strand to make them less round, more irregular. 


I worked on this piece for about a week, a few hours (or a few episodes of Hoarders or Columbo) at a time.  I've posted a few in-progress photos over on flickr if you'd like to take a gander.

Now, I have a couple of orders to finish up, and then tomorrow we'll be going into Insanely Frantic Party Preparation Mode for my lovely daughter's 16th birthday party! 


I can't believe she's 16.  She is so kind and artistic, patient and funny.  I'm so proud of her.  But we do have a lot to do now, like finish painting the trim in our living room:

YES!  We finally painted something! 

And then whip up some fabric banners, table cloths, and fabric-mache pumpkins.  So I'll be gone for a few more days, but I promise to be back soon.  And hopefully with some more pretty pictures.  See you then!

4 comments:

  1. It looks like your baby has grown up!...The butterfly is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is she the oldest? they grow up so fast don't they?
    Mine will be 19 in January. Love the butterfly; i'm in the hoopla round 2 at craftster too; can't wait to get mine started this weekend. I really don't even know what I'm going to stitch.
    If you get a minute, go check out my pumpkin giveaway on my blog.......I'm so excited about them.
    Thanks,
    Robin
    www.robinpich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet comments on the butterfly, ladies!

    Yes, she's my oldest, and I just can't believe how fast they grow. :(
    @Robin -- I'm so excited you're joining us in the next round! Round 1 was so amazing. I have no idea what I'll stitch next... I guess it depends on what my partner wants. And who knows what that could be? :) (I'll be sure to drop by your blog, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This butterfly is spectacular! :D I am so happy (and intimidated) to be your partner in the craftster hoopla swap. Lovely blog. Can't wait to chat.

    Kira aka Noooitaremybirthday

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts