Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Silent movies

I love silent movies.   I once read a review of the silent German film, Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror, and decided to check it out.

Let me first say that I'm not a fan of horror films, but I did enjoy Nosferatu.  It was so creepy.  I should also mention that I don't really like vampires, especially vampires of the new Twilight / True Blood fads.  I suppose that makes me an oddball, but I'm fine with that.  Nosferatu is the original, old-fashioned, evil, stinking kind of vampire, so if you decide to watch the movie, keep that in mind.  And I do recommend the movie!

All that brings me to this....

I recently organized the June Birthday Swap on Craftster, and chose to make one of the birthday girls a messenger bag.  She is a big fan of the old-school movie monsters, so I jumped at the chance to make a creepy Nosferatu bag!


The messenger bag is one of my larger ones, and it's constructed from a pair of black denim jeans.  Well-worn by a cowgirl, I'm guessing, by the tell-tale worn center creases.  I like the way they look.

I used my favorite freezer paper stencil technique to create the face.  I know one eye looks wonky, and I probably should have adjusted it, but that's how his eye looks in the photos of him, so I left it that way.


The birthday girl likes all-black bags, so I accommodated this wish... except for this little surprise I included on the inside:


I really enjoyed making the bag, and I think I'm getting much better / faster / more efficient at making the larger messengers.  I learn something new each time I make one. 

As for silent movies, you really should give them a try.  Make some tasty popcorn, and curl up with your loved ones and enjoy this unique experience.  Yes, your kids will protest at first, but maybe they'll actually like them.  My most, MOST favorite silent film is The Adventures of Prince Achmed, and my kids loved it, too.  It is stunningly beautiful, especially when you realize exactly what you're watching.  (I won't give it away... you have to check it out for yourself! )

So, what's YOUR favorite silent film?  I'd love to hear your recommendations!

4 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! I love that you repurposed jeans for this cool bag. You just added to my ever growing "to-do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing is so gross looking...but whatever! Your bag is great though. :0)
    Never watched silent movies, you've piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL -- you're right, Jenn! But it's supposed to be ugly, so I guess I did alright! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fellow is creepy but looks great on that bag. Sorry monkey 2 is not feeling so well. Let's hope that whatever it is, she will outgrow it. Or that at leaset the symptoms will decrease the older she gets.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts