Sunday, July 18, 2010

I hate my new camera, and some stuff I don't hate

My simple, trusty, and very cheap Samsung point-and-shoot has served me well for a few years now.  It has recently developed a hiccup of switching to video mode (or some other mode) at random moments.  It was bothersome, but didn't prevent me from taking photos when I needed to. 

But then one of my sweet Monkeys signed up for a photography class with our local 4-H.  I imagined her fumbling with the camera, in front of other watchful teens, while it beeped and blinked and switched in and out of different modes.  How embarrassing that would be!  So I thought a new, simple, and very cheap replacement camera was in order.

Oh, how I hate my new camera.  It tries to overthink and outsmart me.  It fiddles with focusing, with lighting, even when I tell it not to.  It's anything but simple. 

But maybe my daughter will get some good use out of it. 

New stuff shot with crummy new camera. . . .

I shot each of these items with the same backdrop, same camera settings, at the same time of day.  These are edited, because the originals were so dark.  I don't feel right about editing too much, because it can distort the color, and then I don't have a true representation of the items, you know?  So I'll be reshooting these this afternoon, probably with my old, trusty, cheapo camera.

But -- I am so excited to be posting these new items in my shop, just in time for Etsy's Christmas in July Sale!   Have you searched christmasinjuly or cij over on Etsy yet?  Crazy-insane bargains!  Really.  I've already started shopping. 

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. How do you get your pics to come out so bright? They look like they came straight out of a magazine! I try that and can't get it to work for me. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very kind, Dede! All I can recommend is taking your photos in natural light to begin with... like by a window in the afternoon. You don't want too much sun, or your photos will washout. I also photograph on white felt as a backdrop. Then, use editing software to brighten them. I love Roxio's software, but now I'm just using Microsoft's Digital Editor... it came with the computer. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and never use a flash. I forgot to mention that part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of a camera did you purchase that you hate so much? I want to make sure that I don't purchase the same camera! I think the pics look good, but I don't want anything to complicated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a Sony camera that I hated for the same reasons. It was very frustrating. And we had read a ton of reviews before we bought it that said it was great even though it wasn't expensive. Well, it wasn't great and I hated it. The last straw was when all my daughter's baptism pictures came out blurry. We now have a new, better camera :) I hope your daughter can get some good use out of your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Maggie, I'm so sorry! That's awful! I'm glad you got a better camera, though. :)

    Jan, it's a Kodak EasyShare C182. Maybe "EasyShare" should have been my first clue? Anything they try to make "easy" usually isn't. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I drooling over the beige pouch with the blue bird! As always, you do great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is awful! On the bright side, the pictures do look good, even though you had to edit so much.

    I had a trusty camera that went bad on me, too. The replacement thought it was smarter than me and wouldn't let me adjust anything. Automatic is NOT so great all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you perchance have the camera set to auto for deciding white balance?

    My thought is that the colour variations we're seeing in your pics is that your camera is muddling up your white balance based on the colours of your items.

    Aside from that, the other problem is that it's by Kodak. They make great film and paper products, they make terrible digital products. Everyone I've ever known to have a Kodak digital camera complains about low quality.

    I stand by Nikon and Canon for every digital camera. Nothing else has ever stood the test of time. Quality parts, and excellent customer service.

    Just the other day, my boyfriend picked up my 2 1/2 year old canon camera and remarked, "when did you buy a new camera??" I replied that I didn't, that I just take care of my baby and it keeps working like new. :o)

    My Baby: (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08082603canonsx100is.asp)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Rose, for your help and recommendations! I'll check the camera's white balance settings. I now wish I had done my research -- there were Canon digitals for just $10 more than what I paid for this one. :-/ (Thanks, again!)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!