Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sugar

We made a simple cherry pie the other day. . . it was amazing! We cheated and used 2 cans of cherry pie filling (gasp!) but made the pie crust from scratch. It's not as hard to make as you may think. . . .

I've always used the Joy of Cooking recipe for Basic Pie Crust, omitting the butter. If you don't have this cookbook, this recipe is pretty close to what I use. The secret to melt-in-your-mouth pie crust? Ice water. Seriously. And handling the dough as little as possible. Try it, and you'll be amazed at the difference these two tiny little details make!

For extra yummy-ness, just before baking the pie, brush the crust with milk, and sprinkle with sugar, or cinnamon sugar. The crust will crisp up just that much more, and it's sooooo good.

And more sugar. . . .

A little messenger bag! It's been quite a while since I've made one of these, hasn't it? This one is made from 100% reclaimed fabrics.

A skirt, a shirt and a curtain panel all came together to make this bag. I also completed two eco totes last week, but I'm waiting to list them in my shop. I'd like to have 5 - 10 bags finished, and list them all together. So hopefully, I'll have some more to show you very soon!

2 comments:

  1. I have never made a good crust...I will try yours! The messenger bag is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the cherry pie...love it and I've always used the cans as well as the store bought crust...lol I don't make but one a year so I don't think it will hurt us ;D LOVE this messenger bag...beautiful and love your blog! Found you via Roben-Marie sharing her Versatile Blogger award and so glad to add you to my google reader. Have a great week! Fondly, Roberta

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!