Saturday, May 22, 2010

Roosters

Kind of a random topic, I know. I've had several rooster themes pop up over the last few weeks, so I thought I'd put them together into one post. Here we go!

A little rooster I made for the Mexican Kitsch Swap. . . .

...a little wooden trinket box from the craft store, plus some paint, glitter (of course,) polymer clay, fabric, paper and a plastic toy rooster. (My kids will never miss it!)

This is one of a series of boxes I made for my lovely swap partner, who teaches high school Spanish. She wanted some art for her classroom, so I designed this to be handled, touched, opened and closed.

Inspiration can come from the oddest, most unexpected places. My inspiration for El Gallo? My zumba class! Yes, I'm still going, and I love, love, LOVE it. (Dropped 2 sizes so far! Yay!) Anyway, we dance to this song (and it's one of my favorite routines). . . . and it inspired the rooster box. . . .

Another rooster. . . .

The best. sauce. on. earth.

I recently tried sriracha sauce on banh mi, and fell in love. I now put this on just about everything. It's that good. Try it. Please.

And some maybe-roosters. . . .

OK, so it's really just a gratuitous photo of our sweet chickens. But we do think there may be a rooster or two or three. I'm not sure how to tell yet, as they're still young. (I also haven't done any research on this, either.) There are a few chickens with longer tails, bigger combs, and have more color -- and act bossier than the others. I guess we'll see soon enough. . . .

So if you've made it to the end of this random post, thanks for dropping by! Have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Love your rooster craft! Great swap looks like.

    Where do you get the Thai hot sauce? Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sioux! I found the sriracha at our Walmart, in the asian foods section. I've seen it at other regular grocery stores, too. I hope you'll try it, and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad and consume Rooster Sauce by the case load. Its super good on mac & cheese. Best comfort meal ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Thanks for posting this. :D

    The Gallina song is hilarious and the bald singer in the group reminds me of a latino version of Duff from Ace of Cakes. LOL

    My students absolutely love the little boxes that you made for me. I'm already plotting a good way to display them next year as well as what would go along with them. I'll have to post a pic on my blog when the display is done.

    Must try Zumba!....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    I love your blog and enjoy all of your of your wonderful ideas! You are an inspiration. I know we are all busy these days, but I wanted to pass along a blog award to you!! I just found you and appreciate your ideas as I am getting more interested in repurposing!

    See all the details here on my blog:

    http://www.robenmarie.com/home/2010/5/24/blog-award.html

    I certainly understand if you are not able to participate. The blog award given to me was to select 15 people to bestow the award to...I chose three.

    Happy creating!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts