Saturday, May 15, 2010

More sweet shirts

The Baby Onesie Swap is one of my favorite swaps on Craftster. (OK, OK. It IS my favorite swap.) I like how practical it is (my little one gets really cool, unique shirts.) I also like how satisfying it is to try new techniques, and make really neat shirts for someone else, with relatively little effort. Yes, some fabulous shirts are more involved than others, but really, the ones I make are pretty simple. I've included links to tutorials for these techniques, so I hope you'll jump in and try some embellishing! Don't have a little one? Embellish some shirts of your own, a tote, a pillow! The possibilities are endless.

Here, I used my ol' standby, the freezer paper stencil, with some tube beads sewn on (very, very well) for the sprinkles. . . .

A ruffled flower. (I winged this one, but here's a tutorial that's similar to how I did it.)

A sweet banana! I used a rough applique technique, and a tiny dab of paint for the face. . . .

I used my flower tutorial to make this poppy, and embroidered the stem and leaf with a simple backstitch. I attached the flower with Aleene's Fabric Fusion (a permanent fabric adhesive) and sewed each bead on (twice!) so this flower isn't going anywhere. . . .

A sweet little birdy, done in reverse applique. . . .

For some close-up photos, please visit my facebook page. :)

I also whipped up this little magnet for my partner. . . .


To make this magnet, I stacked concentric circles of fabric on a felt base, then sewed across the circles, creating petals. I glued a magnet on the back, and that's it! You could also attach a pin base, or a barrette -- so sweet and easy.

I hope you'll try some of these techniques, and have some fun with them! :) As for me, I'll be working on some bags for my neglected shop. I actually completed two totes last week, and am currently working on a third. That just might be a record!

4 comments:

  1. I love them all! They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your shirts are just gorgeous! i love them!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all adorable and I love your use of different techniques. Especially like the banana. I don't have any kids, but I still love shopping for baby stuff for friends & relatives. I like the magnet idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all beautiful, but I think my absolute fave is the birdy. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts