Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I'm probably crazy for attempting this.

I very rarely sew clothing. Sure, I've sewn the occasional pair of pajama pants, or a skirt or two, but that's about it. I was traumatized back in high school -- when I attempted to make a pair of UNITS pants, and ended up with MC Hammer pants. Disastrous.

However, I guess I'm going to have step out of my comfort zone. . . .

My sweet Monkey 6 will be receiving her First Communion in May, and she needs a dress. She wants this dress. . . .

She wants View A, which is the one pictured on the little girl. My amazing seamstress sister has used this pattern before, and she says it's relatively easy, and a good one. I hope so!

In this area, cultural norms have little girls wearing extremely embellished white dresses for the occasion -- like mini-wedding gowns. I never liked this tradition; I think it's odd and gaudy. This dress could easily become that way, too, so to tone it down, I'm going to use white, soft cottons. Maybe a white-on-white stripe (similar to the fabric shown) for the underskirt, and just a plain white for the overskirt. Or, I might try to talk her out of the overskirt altogether! Minimal lace. I'll probably make a little jacket for her, too.

Maybe I'm crazy. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. My M-I-L and I made this gown for my daughter when she was a flower girl. Its not as daunting as it seams. Just take it slow theres alot of fabric and use a nice strong thread when gathering the bustle. YOu can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement and for the tips! I'm kind of excited to try it, but nervous, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!!! Can't wait to see how it comes out.

    I don't do clothing either . . . making things with straight lines is easy. Making things to fit actual human bodies? NOT easy!

    You've got the skills though I think . . . you're a MUCH better seamstress than I am!

    My inner 6 year old LOVES the overskirt, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that dress is amazing!! she will look like a princess, can't wait to see photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is going to look gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You MUST post pics when you finish! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts