Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Felt Valentine brooch tutorial

These little felt brooches are so simple to make, and a sweet addition (or alternative to) cards. And they are relatively eco-friendly, if you think about it. They won't be tossed out after Valentine's day, and can be used year after year. They're also made from felt scraps (and eco felt, at that!)

This heart was inspired by the conversation candy hearts (which I loathe) but I think this one is so simple and sweet.


To make. . . .
Sorry, no pictures, but I doubt you'll need them.
  • I first embroidered my message, using two strands of embroidery floss, on a scrap piece of felt.
  • When I was finished with the embroidery, I simply cut a heart shape around the message. Of course, you can cut out your heart shape first, but I found that holding a slightly larger piece of felt is easier to handle, especially since these are pretty small.
  • Using the heart you just cut out as your pattern, cut out a second heart from scrap felt.
  • Now, stitch a pin backing to this heart.
  • Next, stitch the two hearts together with whatever stitch you like (I used the blanket stitch above, and on the brooch below, I used my sewing machine.)
  • If you want your brooch a little puffy, leave a very small hole for stuffing with polyfil or a cotton ball. Stuff the brooch.
  • Stitch the opening closed. VERY easy.
I attached this brooch to a [pitiful] handmade card. (Card making is NOT my specialty. Obviously.)

Here's another brooch I made:

Tiny lettering! I didn't draw the lettering or follow a pattern. I just stitched it. . . and I like the hand-written look to it.


Stress-free, simple, fun. I plan to make a couple more soon. . . . I hope you'll give them a try, too!

5 comments:

  1. funny, i just made my daughter a wool felt heart to fit in her pocket. i told her to carry it with her and remember that i love her, no matter where she goes. :0)

    sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too sweet. Don't know if I'll have time to complete by Valentine's Day...but a heart is good anytime of the year. Thanks so much for this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet idea! I love those. Especially the You are my Sunshine one.
    So precious!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts