I whipped up 11 diaper covers yesterday, from reclaimed fabrics and stash. I had been using gDiapers, and they're great and all, but it seemed like I was doing a lot of laundry -- 3 separate pieces for each diaper change. I used cloth prefolds for the insert, as I couldn't justify the cost of disposable inserts. I think I'll keep using them for outings (because of the waterproof lining,) but for home, I'll stick to this simpler method. . . .
For several days, I tried just using a cloth prefold. No wraps, covers, soakers, anything. I really like the simplicity. The only drawback is squeamish teens and dad with pins (no snappi here!) and a very strong and wiggly baby. With these diaper covers, we just lay a prefold inside, and velcro the cover closed. Easy! Although a diaper cover is a bit more laundry, everyone is more comfortable using them. Plus, they're cute and very snug. . . which the prefold cloth alone was not.
(Look at that naughty boy click-clicking on my facebook! I'm not responsible for those posts! hee-hee!)
I need to make about another dozen or so. Very easy to make, and cheap, too. I used Rita's Rump Pockets Classic pattern (free!) and just left off the pocket. I found that her pattern for a diaper cover was too small, or just "off" somehow for a good fit on Owen. The Classic pattern is perfect for him.
More sewing. . . .
This is a new design, an eco market tote, and I'm really excited about it!
It took forever to make. Sometimes new patterns/designs just do, I guess. It's made from reclaimed denim and floral fabric, and the interior is new Amy Butler Honeycomb cotton fabric. It's a huge bag! I'd like to make myself one some day. . . .
More sewing is planned for today -- more diaper covers, and I think I'll be making some flower hair pins, too. Red and pink would be pretty, and just in time for Valentine's Day.