Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New bag design -- finally!


I've had this design in my head for months. OK, for over a year. Yeah, I'd say there's quite a backlog in there. I used a vintage wool skirt for this bag's exterior, and a beautiful handmade button from thebuttonshop, run by my lovely friend, Jenn. She's about to close up her shop... so if you want some for yourself, well, you know what to do!

I used Joel Dewberry's Aviary fabric for the interior. This was designed as a knitting project bag, so I made a tall pocket for knitting needles. There's another pocket for cell phone and wallet.

This bag is a little taller than my other totes, but a wee bit narrower.

The handles are reclaimed from a fancy-schmancy pair of velour pants. (pants!) I was happy with how the bag turned out -- pretty close to how I envisioned it. I will be making another one soon, a grey and red, and that one may end up in my shop eventually.

Speaking of my shop. . .

I can't believe I forgot to tell you! I'm throwing out the old, and bringing in the new. No more sachets, pincushions, or catnip mice! Sweatshop, begone! I'm going to be making bags only for now, and maybe some aprons and home decor items later on. Each piece will be listed as it's made -- no more made-when-ordered stuff. This new structuring is designed to allow me to be more creative, and most importantly, to be able to spend more time with my family. I'm very excited about this new arrangement, and really looking forward to this new year!

4 comments:

  1. Great design! And what a big step to recreate your shop inventory! I still use the laundry set that I won, and I'm wondering if you have any of the mice left. Let me know- I'd love to buy one or two!

    Happy New Year!

    xo

    Kimmay

    kimberlyarce {at} gmail {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag is wonderful and I love how you're allowing yourself to create AND spend time with your family. Good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bag, it is gorgeous!! I want one!! :0) I'll be on the look-out when you stock one (or two?) in the future.
    By the way, love your shop plan. You can still be creative and work...but when YOU want to!!

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more sachets? oh well, back to dryer sheets for me....

    It's good though to re-evaluate and refine to make things better for yourself.

    good luck with the bags. as always, your stuff is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts