The dough is rolled into little balls, and then stamped with a cookie stamp, drinking glass, or even a kitchen utensil. We used a swirly egg beater for this batch! You can then use sprinkles or colored sugar for the decoration -- applied prior to baking. The colored sugar will settle into stamped designs, and make a lovely design and sweet crunch when baked. One other mention -- I was nervous about using butter and vegetable oil, but these turned out very good -- not heavy at all!
Fairy Drop Cookies
1 cup butter (no substitutes)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooking oil
2 teaspoons almond extract
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flourcolored sugar
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees.
- BEAT butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- ADD both sugars, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt, beating until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- BEAT in oil, eggs and almond extract until combined.
- BEAT in as much of the flour as you can. Stir in remaining flour.
- COVER and chill about 30 minutes, or until needed.
- TO SHAPE cookies, roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls (dough is soft.) Arrange balls on ungreased cookie sheet. With the bottom of a glass or a patterned cookie stamp, gently flatten the balls till about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- BAKE in a 350 oven for 10 - 12 minutes or till edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Makes about 55 - 60 cookies.