Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cloth diapering -- again?

I tried cloth diapering once before, and I gave up after several weeks. It became much more expensive than disposables, since my little Owen is such a heavy wetter, and the laundering was a huge hassle.

I've decided to give it another try. I went with gDiapers this time, on the glowing recommendation from a friend. They are a "hybrid" diaper, whatever that means. All I know is that they are trim (not bulky), and they don't leak. That alone earns these diapers a gold star in my book.
You can purchase both disposable/flushable inserts and/or cloth inserts for the gDiapers. I did purchase one package of the flushable inserts for when we travel, and have only used one so far. It held up great -- no leaks. For every day home use, I purchased some prefolds from a friend of a friend, and trimmed them down to the size of a small prefold. This works amazingly well, and was very inexpensive ($15 for 2 dozen!)

I did have to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to get the perfect fit, but it was short and very helpful. So far, so good. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I am back to cloth diapering as well, mainly because we ran out of paper diapers so we're making due. Next baby I will be taking advantage of a diaper service for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there, it's alright if you can't do it...don't feel like you aren't doing "enough" if you don't cloth diaper...woman, you are doing ALOT already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cloth diaper and have made my own diaper covers out of old wool sweaters. They were the best thing ever in the summer, I know, wool in the summer right? But they let her butt breathe more then the rubber or nylon covers I had and I had less leakage using them.
    I also use an extra prefold in her regular diaper at night to help with the overnight overflow. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!