Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A blue post

I've been a bit blue lately. I think all this stress has caught up with me. And I'm super-duper tired. Just plain exhausted. But I've managed to do a bit of sewing. . . .

A blue diaper bag. . . .

A couple of months ago, my sweet husband asked me to make a diaper bag for a friend of his that recently welcomed a beautiful baby boy into their family. His friend also happens to be a huge fan of the Dallas Mavericks. So, my hubby bought a Dirk Nowitzki jersey, and asked me to make a bag from it. (It's not really lopsided like in the photo!)

I was leery about sewing the stretchy jersey, so I procrastinated. Finally, I decided to fuse the jersey to a dark fabric, and treat the fused fabrics as one piece. After that, it all fell together pretty easily. It's pretty large, too -- 18" wide, 16" high, 7" deep.

I used a sturdy pair of capri pants for the sides, bottom and handles. I really liked the pockets on these!

I used a large shirt for the lining, and a skirt for the pockets on the inside (there are two -- a bottle holder and a large one for diapers and a travel wipes case.) The top button is missing in the pic below, to make room for sewing the top seam; I re-attached it after the photos, though!


The recipient liked his new diaper bag (YAY!) I have to say that I actually enjoyed making this bag, too. . . even though the colors, fabrics and patterns weren't in my comfort zone!

And the update. . . .

Christine is doing better, thank God. Her vision is still poor, and we found out Friday that it will likely remain that way. (But it's better than some of the alternatives, right?) She visited her rheumatologists yesterday and they are fabulous. They helped us understand more what we are dealing with (an autoimmune disorder -- still no official "name" or diagnosis.) They are helping us manage her current medications well, and the bothersome side effects that are starting to crop up. She also just started methotrexate, and lucky me, I learned how to give injections. We both survived the first injection just fine, so I'm thinking this must get easier. She's being weaned from the steroids, so the methotrexate will take over where the steroids leave off. Hopefully the two will balance each other during the transition -- otherwise, the scleritis will flare up again. They are projecting her treatment to last at least a year, but more likely two years.

Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the prayers, support and encouragement. Please know that this has meant more to our family than you can imagine.

Blessings to you all.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that she's doing better. Praise the Lord.

    Really cute bag. I love that you used pants for the pockets. Very Man worthy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending you prayers and hugs. It is easier to be sick yourself that to have a sick child. I pray that you have someone with a shoulder you can cry on, ears to listen and a kind heart to understand the struggles you feel as a mother.



    Secondly, I am, as always, in awe of your creativity and sewing ability. I made your little mice the other day (posted on my blog) and they are pitiful, but they were fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I think that may be the coolest diaper bag I've ever seen!! I posted a link on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/lookie-what-she-made-diaper-bag-for-a-sports-fan/2009/06/18/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect, "manly" diaper bag! Fantastically done!

    I'm sorry about everything you and your family have been going through lately. It looks like you've got some light at the end of your tunnel though, I'll keep on thinking good thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you've been having such a rough time. Wish I was there to help or bring a casserole or something...
    Know you have been in my thoughts and prayers and I've been checking daily to see if you had updated your blog.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart just goes out to you and Christine, having a chronically sick child is just exhausting and stressful not to mention that awful feeling that you are alone in it all. I am keeping your whole family in my heart and thoughts.

    As per the bag (and everything you do) you are just amazingly talented and deserve all the credit you receive.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!