Tuesday, December 16, 2008

2-minute winter hats, 3 ways


It's cold here in Texas. It's not usually this cold. It has been in the 20's since yesterday. My northern friends, please do not laugh at us warm-weather-loving Texans. We're not used to this kind of cold. Or the ice. Or the sleet.

My Monkeys have cabin fever. Yes, after one cold day inside. Again, I don't know how you northerners do it, day after freezing day. The Monkeys begged and begged to go outside, but didn't have any warm winter hats.

So I whipped up a few with -- you guessed it -- recycled wool sweaters.

Take a thrifted, large (or better yet, extra-large) wool sweater, and carefully cut the sleeves off at the seams. Try to only cut the yarn that holds the sleeves to the body. It won't hurt it too badly if you accidentally cut other yarns, but it will look a little messy.


Next, you can sew (or not sew) the sleeves to make three different types of hats.
#1 -- No-sew top-knot hat

My teens liked these the best. They said they saw them in a movie. (Not sure about the authenticity of that claim.)

Take the sleeve. Tie a knot near the top. Put the head in the sleeve (arm hole) opening.

The curve of the arm hole is perfect for where the face would be, and just happens to curve around to cover the ears. Very snug and warm, I'm told.

The edge can also be turned up like a cuff.


#2 -- One-stitch single-layer hat
Take the sleeve, and turn it inside-out. Try it on the intended wearer's head. Mark where the hat should end (or just guess like I did.) Stitch along that line in a curve, straight line, or even a point, depending on how you want the hat to look. Trim off excess.
Turn hat, and wear. The bottom edge can be turned up, too.


#3 -- Two-stitch double-layer hat.

This hat is extra-warm, since it has two layers. You're basically sewing the ends of the sleeves together, to make a tube. Sew through all 4 layers.


Flatten the tube, and sew a seam along one long edge to close the hat. Turn.


You can make a cowl, too. . . . Stop after sewing the ends together to make a super-cute cowl. My Monkeys threw a fit about that, and said either choked them (it didn't) or it looked stupid (it didn't.)

Now, I know these aren't the loveliest of hats, but they are inexpensive and very, very quick. Perfect for those monkeys who either lose hats constantly or don't have to wear them anywhere special, or very often. I imagine that if you took more time to make them, they could be very cutely embellished with ears, appliques, pom-poms, or whatever. Next, I plan to try making some matching mittens from felted sweaters using this fantastic tutorial!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness - what awesome hats!

    How creative! Now do you have a way to magically conjure up BOOTS? Here in NC - we get snow a couple times of year in a "lucky" year (from the kids point of view) and my biggest concern is keeping their feet warm. I can't bring myself to pick up snow boots which they actually sell here for those 2 -3 snow falls a year!

    We used to live up north in Canada and the first years we were here - we had lots of left over gear that got spread around but slowly over the 12 years we have been here it has slowly disappeared.

    Blessings
    Mum2twelve/Christi

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont know how i missed this post of yours!! such creativity and smartness...

    wow...i am in love with your quickly made hats...so nice...

    yea its been super cold for us californians too...weird to even have rain for 2 days straight!! enjoy it while it lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok you are too creative and I love it! What a great way to reuse and recycle old sweaters! I live in the north east where I am currently freezing with the temperature at a chilly 0 degrees. I might need to make one of these hats!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts