Wednesday, November 19, 2008

$4 can still buy you a nice little house


I think I almost danced out of the thrift store yesterday with this!

(It folds up.)

I've always been fascinated with mini houses. Some of my earliest art projects were making tiny homes for my Little People or Glamour Gals (does anyone else remember those??) from shoe boxes, old wood scraps or outside in the flowerbeds. I spent hours playing with those houses.

Now, I have a blank canvas to play with! I can't decide if I want to paint it. . . I kind of like the worn look it has now. Hmmmm. . . . not sure. I definitely want to decorate it for Christmas, with tiny working lights, garlands, presents, curtains. . . .

Of course, I have to be practical, too. It will be a perfect showcase for my pincushions when I do a craft show with my sister next year.


The details: it is solid wood -- very heavy. It seems to be in pretty good condition. The two hinges in the middle probably need to be replaced, as they are wobbly and may be sprung. The two doors on it work well, and both have intact panes of glass. It is 22 inches high, and 28 inches long when opened. It has wall hanging hardware on the back, too!

I think that this is my favorite thrift store find ever!

6 comments:

  1. WOW! What a find! I love it when that happens!
    :)Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, $4! Are you kidding me! It's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to a Thrift store. (serious). Maybe i am missing a lot!! :)it is so cute!! and $4 ...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its gorgeous!! i can just picture it with all your pincushions inside too . . . what a beautiful display that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is awesome...DO NOT PAINT IT! EVER!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (your fave thrift find ever...)and rightfully so!
    my recc is that you DON'T paint it. It looks great the way it is and will totally highlight your pincushions like nobody's business...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!