Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pumpkin scones = love

You gotta try these. They're the new fave in the ReFabulous household.

But are you lazy like me? Then you may want to take a few of the shortcuts I did. . . .

  • The recipe tells you to put this bowl or that ingredient in the freezer or refrigerator. If you have lots of time to do that, great. I didn't do any of that, and our scones turned out great.
  • I never buy cake flour, so I just used all-purpose flour. Just remember to pour your flour into your measuring cup -- never scoop it. My cook book also says to subtract 2 tablespoons of flour per cup of all-purpose to substitute for cake flour -- I didn't mess with that, either.
  • I always double my spices!
  • The recipe calls for butter. . . . I didn't have any on hand. I just used margarine (not spread!) and I softened it in the microwave.
  • Heavy cream? Never. I just used sweetened condensed milk and omitted the brown sugar. Then, I added water to get the correct consistency of the dough.
I first made a double batch, and we loved them so much, we made another double batch. These 4 regular batches used up an entire can of both the condensed milk and the pumpkin. I like that it finished those cans, so no little straggling ingredients had to be put up or wasted. I know that sounds like a lot of scones, but you can always freeze unfrosted scones for later. . . if you have any left over for later!

I'll try to take some photos next time I make these. Gotta be quick around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!