Sunday, October 19, 2008

Our most recent adventure. . .

. . . took us to downtown Dallas, to the Nasher Sculpture Center. The museum is celebrating its anniversary by offering fun, free activities for the community. First, I have to show you our favorite sculpture:

This sculpture is by Jonathan Borofsky, one of my favorite sculptors. (I first saw one of his exhibits years ago (when I was in college) at the Modern Art Museum in Fort Worth. These figures are all life-sized. The steel pole rises 150 feet into the air, at a 75 degree angle. This is so much more impressive in person, and my sorry pictures cannot do it justice.

The Monkeys first participated in a scavenger hunt, which they really enjoyed. Here we stopped for a moment by a beautiful fountain:

Monkey 5, tightly holding her clue sheet, was very serious about this hunt! Probably because once they found all the clues, they could turn in their sheet for a cool coloring book. Not just any coloring book, but a glossy-covered special edition coloring book that both the author and illustrator signed for each and every child! Here is Monkey 4 with his book, during our lunch break:

After lunch, we enjoyed some yummy punch, adorned with a Wolfgang Puck ice sculpture.

This cool sculpture was nearby:

Next, some of the Monkeys took advantage of sketching on the terrace. . . .

Monkey 4:

Monkey 5:


Monkey 3, on the far right:

(That's Monkey 2 on the left, then Owen, then my sweet sister!)

Meanwhile, Monkeys 6 and 7 were decorating quilt squares to be attached to the community quilt:

Monkey 6:

Monkey 7:

And the rest joined in:

It was such a perfect, exhausting, lovely day.

3 comments:

  1. wow, that looks so amazing! Those sculptures are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome post! i am sure you all had a beautiful day. Sure looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. and i worry about getting out and about with my two little ones.
    i skipped going to the nasher with my sculpture 2 class in college, thinking i would go later on my own, and i STILL haven't been yet. procrastination is my middle name.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!