Monday, September 15, 2008

Some happy news, and other things

We were pleasantly surprised when Monkey 1 spotted something very interesting in the latest issue of one of our favorite magazines, Faith and Family. . . .

A drawing of St. Francis by our very own Monkey 2! (I know it's hard to see in the photo -- sorry.) The funny thing is that she submitted the drawing two years ago, while we still lived in Texarkana, and we forgot all about it. We had no idea it had been chosen, so it was a nice surprise to see it here!

Other happy news. . . .

A sweet lady mentioned my umbrella pincushion in her neat blog this weekend -- thanks, Amy!

And other things. . . .

Don't forget that The Spotted Box goes on sale at noon EST, and that they sell out quickly! You can get one here, or you may have better luck at the Etsy Shop here, where boxes will be added a few at a time.

And lastly. . . .

I've made the decision to start using cloth diapers! I am SOOO excited about that! I was completely ignorant and unaware of modern cloth diapering with all of my other children. I did not know a single person that cloth diapered. I started reading about cloth diapering while I was pregnant with Owen, and seriously considered doing it. However, my husband was very much against the idea. . . . he reasoned that we can hardly keep up with laundry now, and here I was wanting to add to the pile. But now I think the expense of disposables is starting to change his mind.

I have read that you should try several different types of diapers to find out what works best for your baby. Since I don't have the time or money to experiment, this is my plan: I am planning to sew my own. I figured that if I purchase the materials and fabrics, I can then try different patterns with minimal expense.

I'm thinking of trying these two options first -- tie-on prefolds with a cover, and pocket diapers (mostly for my sweet husband.) If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm especially interested in what types of laundry detergent you use, and if there are any DIY detergent recipes that you recommend!

Oh my gosh. . . can you imagine Owen's chubby little legs in a pair of warmers?? Eeeeee!


I must learn to knit, just so I can make these.

6 comments:

  1. hi! I found your blog when I did a search for pocket diapers. I thought I would chime in about the detergent question you have. Country Save is a fantastic detergent for cloth diapers. It is inexpensive and washes clean. Highly recommended. If you have any further questions about cloth diapering, you can contact me at www.simplewondersdiapers.com

    Have fun :)
    Sultana

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the little baby leg warmers. adorable.
    btw, my husband has the same "office" stickies as you have, but i got some that say "that's what she said.". don't know if it's new stuff or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are using cloth now. We use them also. I love PF's with a Bummi's wrap...or better yet, no cover at all...you know when they're wet!

    Those are the best diapers I have tried...and I have tried a lot!! I just cannot afford super expensive diapers and half the time, they don't work that great. PF's are a good ol' standby and they fit best under wool longies!

    Good luck!
    Nature's Enchantment
    unwaveringfaith.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping in to let you know that I used cloth diapers for both my children. It was one way of saving $$$ so that I could stay at home with them, plus they couldn't wear disposables for more than a camping weekend without developing a rash. I guess they were allergic to Pampers, which is all we had back then.

    Anyway, I used Ivory Flakes, which you can't find anymore, but a good mild detergent should work, but be sure to rinse well. No liquid fabric softener, as that reduces the absorbency.

    With my son, I used gauze diapers. They absorb better, IMO, than the birdeye diapers.

    I used the prefolded gauze diapers with my daughter...saved lots of time folding! I also used a disposable liner that was available back then, for the diapers that I KNEW were gonna be messy (my kids were pretty "regular").

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pocket diapers rock. Joey Bunz hemparoo liners cut down on the bulk and last longer for soaks.. if you have a serger you can quickly mimic these for much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mama! I saw you linked to me :) Thanks! I just wanted to let you know that Tushie Ties are on sale till the end of tonight! Starting at just $10.20! So if you want to try one, now is a great time to do so!
    So glad your gonna cloth diaper! Its great and can be SO addicting!
    Crystal Carpenter
    Fancy Pantz
    http://myfancypantz.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!