Thursday, July 17, 2008

A pair of pincushions, and swap news

I love craft swaps, and Craftster is my favorite place for swaps! I recently tried to join another pincushion swap, but signed up just after the last slot had been filled. Bummer!

A sweet lady in the swap had pity on me, and asked if she could make me a pincushion anyway. Like I said, very sweet lady. I agreed, as long as I could make her a pincushion as well. She asked for a pincushion with an Americana theme. What?! I did a quick search of Americana themed fabrics to get some ideas. This is what I came up with:




This was quite a challenge for me, as it was well out of my comfort zone! It measures about 3 inches in diameter, with a large jar cap as its base. It is about 2 inches tall. The dark blue is some recycled wool felt scraps, and the other felt is acrylic. The buttons are mostly wooden ones from my button jar. It is stuffed with polyfil. It turned out how I envisioned it, and she says she loves it!

And now, for my awesome pincushion....

How cute is that! My two, no, three loves in one: sewing, coffee, and pincushions! I wish I had included some other item next to it, so you could see its scale. It's actually about the size of a real tea cup! Again, so cute! Thanks, Michelle.... I'd love to swap again any time!

Speaking of swaps....

I did sign up for the Go Green and Recycle Swap (of course) so you'll be hearing all about my recycled craftiness in the weeks to come.

Also, if anyone would like to make and swap baby onesies, please check out this thread. I think it would be fun!

A little side note....

Sorry, no tote to post tonight, either. Maybe two tomorrow? Baby Owen and Monkey 7 are each running a tiny fever, so that has delayed any tote-making for today (understandably!) They're both sleeping now (and so here I am) and I'd better go get sewing while I can. I wonder if they have something that's going around....? No other major symptoms; just a little tired, and slightly decreased appetites. Hmmmmm.

7 comments:

  1. that american flag cushion is awesome!! gr8 job!! with ur tea cup cushion, i wish it was a brighter color. maybe u can try making one such for urself. but it does look cute!! nice idea. I keep coming to ur blog regularly. love what you do that too with so many kids! geez. i dunno how u find time!
    Good luck
    -An avid reader
    Keyomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yeah I thought that eggs would cook on the sidewalk here in the middle of the desert!

    Your coffee cup is super-cute! What a great idea. =)

    Have a nice weekend!

    smiles,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 monkeys, a successful etsy shop, and time to swap? whats your superhero name? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. EIGHT!!! 8 monkeys, sorry! didn't mean to accidentally assign you extra children ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of the pincushions! The americana one came out beautifully and the tea cup is so sweet! Great idea's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we want new updates!!! how are you doing??

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, hollylynne! The more, the merrier....

    I'm good, keyomi! A new post today, just for you....

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts