Monday, July 28, 2008

Now THIS is some fantastic bread....

Really. This is my all-time favorite bread... and it's so easy, I make it in my bread machine. On the almost-cheating instant setting.

This bread has a chewy crust, and is pillowy-soft inside. Another great thing about this bread is that it's inexpensive to make -- it uses all-purpose flour, not a specialty flour, and a small amount of yeast. I found this recipe years ago on the internet, and have made this bread probably 100 times. Here's the recipe:
Light Oat Bread
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 2 Tbs margarine (melted)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup oats (uncooked -- any type)
  • 2 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp yeast
  1. Add ingredients to bread machine, according to your bread machine's instructions.... usually liquid, then fats, then dry ingredients, with the yeast on the very top.
  2. Bake on regular light setting. Works great on the instant setting as well.

**Very important tip -- make sure you start out with a great dough ball. Otherwise, this bread will be dough-y in the center. During the first kneading stage (which is usually after the first minute or two, and within the first three to four minutes of beginning), look at your dough. It should look/feel slightly sticky, but stay in one ball. If it is in two or more separate dough balls -- add a little water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough is sticky and in one ball. If it is batter-like -- add more flour, a tablespoon at a time, until it sticks together as described above. (This tip applies to all bread machine recipes, too.)

Simple, inexpensive. Delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Hi There, This looks scrumptious. However, I don't own a bread machine. Any pointers on how to do this without one? I'm a novice bread baker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some pointers for you, but I don't -- I'm sorry! I used to bake bread the old-fashioned way (by hand) but was never very good at it. It rarely turned out edible! Does anyone else have any tips??

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts