Saturday, February 23, 2008

Nesting mode: attacking UFOs

I'm nesting like a crazy woman. I'm cleaning, organizing, washing, throwing out, giving away. Nothing is safe.

I'm also whittling down my UFO pile, and that is most satisfying.

Reusable Shopping Bags
Last weekend, I made up these reusable shopping bags from some $1/yard fabric I bought months ago:






The fabric's not really my style, but I do like the contrast. I had enough of this fabric to make 7 of them. They fold up into the outside pocket, like this:

We took one with us to the zoo this week. The Monkeys and I packed a picnic lunch for us, complete with bottled water (and a full box of wipes,) and everything fit in the bag -- with room to spare. I can't wait to take them to the grocery store with us! I do need to make more of these, and I have some stash that needs to be busted. Here's the tutorial I used. Try it. It's fun and oh-so-easy.

Painted Baby Quilt

This UFO began 4 years ago. It was started when I was pregnant with Monkey 6 (who will turn 4 next month.) My sweet sister wanted to make a crib quilt for the baby (we didn't know the gender at the time) and found inspiration for it in this cute journal we found at the dollar store:


However, neither of us are quilters, and couldn't even begin to imagine the piecing and applique process these characters would entail. But we could paint, so paint we did.

Now my sister is an accomplished artist, so she had the chore of drawing the characters onto the fabric. Of course, they were perfect. Next, we mixed up some cheap acrylic paints with fabric medium, and painted the little animals. Any mess-ups are undoubtedly mine. Once the paint was dry, we heat-set the paint, and pieced the top.

That is where the work on this ended -- 4 years ago.

Last week, I pulled out the quilt top, and finally assembled it with the batting and backing. Since I don't know how to quilt, I just made it a simple hand-tied quilt. My son LOOOOVES it.

Here's the overall photo.... it's wrinkled because I just pulled it out of the dryer.

Upper half: Lower half: and some closeups:

I am so happy with how it turned out, and it feels wonderful to have it finished. Oh -- in case you're wondering, the paint is not stiff... it softens more each time it's washed. The paint didn't bleed, either. It did fade in a couple of areas (which I like,) but not in most areas. Thanks, sis, for your fantastic work on this!

I have several more items I finished up this past week... but I'll save those for tomorrow's post.

3 comments:

  1. That quilt is so, so adorable. You and your sis did a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my that quilt is super!! 4 years? that's nothin! well worth it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts