Friday, December 14, 2007

Make a gift box, and the last of the cookie marathon

Today, I worked on gift wrapping items to be shipped. This is usually a challenge for me, as I am never prepared with just the right sized box, or even enough padding! But today, I was a little more prepared for the challenge. I now make these very simple gift boxes out of old LP album covers.

Anyone can make these. First, I just found a box lying around the house that was about the size I needed. I opened it up flat, and traced it onto the LP cover. Then, I cut it out, scored and folded the corners of the box, and then glued or taped it together. I chose a very simple box that only needed adhesive on one corner. Both the bottom and the top of the box fold together.

There are quite a few box templates to be found on the web, too... this site is a good one -- it even includes a template for those adorable chinese take-out boxes! Just imagine all of the funky and unique materials you could reuse and repurpose to make your own gift boxes..... Of course, if you'd like me to make you some of these nifty boxes, just convo me here.

For the padding, I just shred my junk mail, or the colorful newspaper ad inserts. (I don't use the actual newspaper because the ink rubs off on everything.) I also save tissue paper from all the gifts from our (many) birthday parties, and shred them for a very colorful, soft padding.

For some of my gifts (and for their crafty recipients,) I wrapped lovely, large-ish fabric scraps (or even precious fat quarters) around the gifts and tied them with vintage lace or rickrack picked up at the thrift store. I know the fabric won't go to waste (and may even be appreciated!) and there will be less paper trash thrown out on Christmas.

I am still in the process of making the fabric gift bags! YIKES! One of our family Christmas parties is this Sunday, so I really need to get done with those. PRONTO.

Now.... one more mention of the cookies. I suppose I must have cookies on the brain, because I keep posting about them. I promise this isn't a cookie blog (although it certainly seems that way!) Maybe cookies are a form of crafting... you sure can get creative with them. Monkeys 1, 2 and 3 worked on these with me tonight. It was a lot of fun, and we enjoyed each other's company without the usual chaos of the littlest ones "helping."


Top: Hundreds of sugar cookies. Second: Gingerbread Biscotti, with the melted white chocolate drizzle and red hots. Third: (left) Chocolate Walnut Biscotti, with chocolate drizzle and chocolate covered espresso beans; (right) Peanut Butter and Chocolate Biscotti partially dipped in milk chocolate. Last: Chocolate Chip Biscotti with white chocolate drizzle.

Whew. That's IT. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Popular Posts